It’s time to ditch the spaghetti and start adding a little variety to your dinners! Just as quick and easy as spaghetti, this delicious Instant Pot goulash will be your new favorite quick and easy weeknight meal.
As a working mother, I love quick and easy dinner ideas. The Instant Pot has made my life so much easier when it comes to making dinner for my family. I’ve always been a fan of goulash, so I decided what easier way to make goulash than in my Instant Pot. Not only is it super easy to make, but its packed with delicious flavors that fill your whole home while it cooks.
What Is Instant Pot Goulash?
What could be better than a delicious bowl of Instant Pot Goulash? Made with ground beef, spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, and egg noodles all in a creamy chicken broth, this goulash is the ultimate comfort food!
Goulash is one of the National dishes of Hungary and a symbol of the country. It’s predominately eaten in Central Europe, but is enjoyed all over the world. Goulash is kind of a soup or a stew that’s made with ground meat, fresh veggies, and delicious Italian spices in a creamy chicken broth.
It’s perfect for a large family, potluck, or game day! With just 10-minutes of prep and 12 minutes cooking time, you’ll have dinner on the table in less than a half hour.
- Ground meat– I used ground turkey for a healthier option. If you use ground beef, use lean ground beef so you don’t have to drain the meat.
- Butter– You can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Broth– I used chicken broth, but you could also use beef broth if that’s what you have.
- Egg noodles– I used dry egg noodles, but other recipes use macaroni noodles. You can use whatever you choose.
- Diced tomatoes– To make this recipe quick and easy, just use a can of diced tomatoes. You can also use fresh tomatoes and dice your own.
- Seasonings and spices-You will also need salt, pepper, minced onion, dry chives, and minced garlic to season your goulash.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of exact ingredients!
How to Make Instant Pot Goulash
Once you’ve gathered all your ingredients, you’ll just need a few minutes of prep and then the Instant Pot does all the hard work for you! Get out that Instant Pot!
Step 1: Sauté the Meat
Hit the sauté or sear button your Instant Pot. Then, add the meat, onion, chives, salt, pepper and garlic. Cook until the meat is brown.
Step 2: Add Remaining Ingredients
Add the diced tomatoes, broth, butter, and egg noodles to your Instant Pot. Stir to mix everything together.
Step 3: Pressure Cook
Next, place the lid on your Instant Pot, put the pressure valve in the sealing position, hit manual or pressure cook, and set the time for 8-minutes.
Step 4: Quick Release
Once your 8 minutes is complete, do a quick release by opening the sealing valve and releasing the pressure.
Stir, serve, and enjoy!
How to make goulash in the slow cooker
You can easily make this goulash recipe in the slow cooker too! Follow this recipe for slow cooker goulash.
Stove top directions
Making this recipe on your stove top is just as easy as in the Instant Pot or in the slow cooker. My one pot chili mac is super similar to this goulash recipe, except I add cheese to the stove top version.
What is the Difference Between Instant Pot Goulash and Spaghetti?
Goulash and spaghetti have similar ingredients, however, the finished product is quite different. For spaghetti, the noodles and sauce are cooked separately and then combined when serving. Goulash, on the other hand, is made by cooking the noodles and the sauce together in a pot. Additionally, goulash is a little more watery than spaghetti making it more like a soup or a stew than a pasta dish.
How Many Different Kinds of Goulash are There?
There are actually two different kinds of goulash. There’s Hungarian goulash and American goulash. Hungarian goulash is more of a thick meat and vegetable soup that’s seasoned with paprika. American goulash like this Instant Pot goulash recipe takes out most of the veggies and adds a few more seasonings.
Can I added cheese to my goulash?
Yes! You absolutely can! It turns into more of a chili mac type of dish, but it’s just as delicious. Add 1 -2 cups of your favorite shredded cheese after your release the pressure. Stir it into the pasta dish and then serve. I prefer mozzarella and sharp cheddar, but any shredded cheese will work.
Tips and tricks
This Instant Pot Goulash Recipe is pretty simple, but I do have a few tips that can make it even easier.
- Your beef does not have to be cooked all the way through before you start to pressure cook. The pressure cooker will cook it all the way through.
- You can use chicken or beef broth in the recipe. Don’t have either? Water works just fine.
- Stir everything together before pressure cooking. You will cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- You will want to do a quick or manual release of pressure. (Find out the difference releases here.) This will stop the pasta from overcooking.
Side Dish Recommendations
Goulash is one of those one-pot meals that doesn’t necessarily require any sides. However, I like to serve mine with a side of warm garlic bread. Here are some other sides you can try:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dry chives
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups egg noodles
- 20 ounce canned diced tomatoes
- Turn your Instant Pot on to sauté mode. Add in your meat, onion, chives,
salt, pepper and garlic. Continue until your meat is brown.
- Add in your remaining ingredients. Mix.
- Place your lid on and close your sealing valve.
- Set your Instant Pot to high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once your 8 minutes is complete, do a quick release by opening the sealing valve and releasing the pressure.
- Stir together. Enjoy as is or with a fresh salad and loaf of bread!
More One Pot Dinner Ideas
This is a super simple dinner in large part because it’s made all in one pot. Some of our other favorite one pot dinners are:
- Instant Pot Broccoli Chicken Casserole
- Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
- Easy Ham and Pasta in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Mexican Casserole