Looking for something quick and easy to make for dinner, but don’t want to heat up the house? Casseroles are always an easy go to dinner solution, but this Instant Pot Broccoli Chicken Casserole makes it even easier!
By the time dinner time rolls around, I’m dead. I don’t want to cook anything especially something that is going to heat up the whole house. Of course, we can’t eat cereal for dinner every night… so, I’ve come to love Instant Pot casseroles. This broccoli chicken casserole is cheesy and delicious. Not only is it yummy, but it’s also super easy to make, and since it’s a casserole, I don’t really have to come up with any side dishes to prepare.
What is Broccoli Chicken Casserole?
Broccoli chicken casserole is a creamy and cheesy casserole made with chicken, broccoli, rice, and the perfect blend of seasonings and cheese. It’s an all in one meal with veggies, protein, dairy, and carbs.
Broccoli Chicken Casserole Ingredients
For this recipe, you will need quite a few ingredients, but most of them you probably already have. So, get out your shopping list for these less common items:
- Chicken breasts: I use boneless skinless chicken breasts since they are easier to shred for the casserole. If you don’t want to use breasts, use another boneless skinless chicken.
- Onion: I prefer to use sweet onions for everything, but you can use any onion you choose.
- Ranch Dressing mix: You know those ranch packets you can get, they make a deliciously creamy seasoning. Don’t forget to grab a package.
- Broccoli Florets: I use frozen just because it’s easier. If you want, you can use fresh broccoli too.
- Rice: For this recipe, we are using regular white rice.
- Worcestershire sauce: Not only does it make the meat tender, but it adds a savory flavor everyone will love.
- Shredded cheese: Grab whatever shredded cheese you like to make this dish super cheesy and delicious.
Scroll to the bottom for a full list of exact ingredients in the recipe card!
How to Make Instant Pot Broccoli Chicken Casserole
The great news about this recipe is there isn’t much to it! You are going to love how easy it is to make. Just follow the simple steps below:
Step 1: Prepare the Chicken
Place the chicken on a trivet inside the Instant Pot, and season it with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Add water, seal the Instant Pot, and cook it on high pressure for 9 minutes. Do a quick release of the pressure when it beeps. Then, shred the chicken.
Step 2: Sauté the Veggies
Remove the chicken, set the Instant Pot to sauté and sauté the onion and garlic.
Step 3: Cook the Rice
Once onions are cooked, add broth and Worcestershire sauce in the instant pot to deglaze the bottom (scrape particles off the bottom). Then, add the rice and ranch mix, and seal the lid. Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. Then, manually release the pressure.
Step 4: Add Broccoli and Cheese
Add the broccoli and cheese to the casserole and stir. Finally, add your shredded chicken back into the casserole and stir.
Serve and Enjoy!
Can I Use Homemade Ranch Seasoning?
Absolutely! As a mom, I just grab the packets at the store, but you can totally make your own seasoning. You’ll need buttermilk powder, dried parsley, dill weed, freeze dried chives, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Follow this Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix Recipe to make your own!
How Long Do I Need to Cook This?
For this recipe, you will be pressure cooking the chicken first and then the rice. In the middle, you will sauté the veggies. The chicken takes 9 minutes plus time to come to pressure and the rice takes 7 minutes plus time to come to pressure. Altogether, you will be able to cook this dish in about 26 minutes.
How to Store Leftovers
To store any leftovers, simply place your leftover casserole in an airtight container or Tupperware bowl. Place it in the refrigerator. You can store leftovers in your fridge for 3 to 5 days.
Can I Freeze It?
Absolutely! In fact, this broccoli chicken casserole makes the perfect freezer meal. Make it ahead, place it in a freezer safe container, and reheat it in your Instant Pot when you are ready to eat it.
Side Dish Recommendations
I personally find that this casserole is perfect without any sides. But, if you would like to add a little extra to your meal, here are some great side dish options:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 package of ranch dressing mix
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups of rice
- 10 oz of frozen broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Place chicken on trivet inside the instant pot, season with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Add cup of water and seal the instant pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 9 minutes and manually release pressure.
- Remove chicken and shred.
- Set the instant pot to sauté and sauté the onion and garlic.
- Once onions are cooked, add broth and Worcestershire sauce in the instant pot to deglaze the bottom.
- Add the rice and ranch mix and seal the lid. Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Manually release pressure.
- Add the broccoli, chicken and cheese and stir
Other Instant Pot Chicken Recipes to Try
Chicken is so versatile! You can literally make just about anything with it. Here are a few of my favorite Instant Pot chicken recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
- Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
- Bang Bang Chicken Pasta in the Instant Pot
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken