Craving some Italian food but in a hurry? This penne recipe is so easy yet so delicious! You’ll want to make it all the time thanks to your Instant Pot! Vodka penne is the perfect weeknight meal.
You know how much I love Italian food! It’s one of my favorite types of food to eat because it’s super versatile and always full of flavor. Plus, who doesn’t love PASTA?!
What is Vodka Penne?
Vodka penne is exactly what it sounds like–penne in a sauce infused with vodka! The vodka helps keep the cream in the sauce from separating to create a scrumptious creamy tomato sauce.
Instant Pot Vodka Penne Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make Instant Pot Vodka Penne:
- Mild Italian sausage: It does not matter what brand, but for this recipe mild Italian sausage links will work and taste the best.
- Minced garlic: You can mince your own garlic cloves, or you can use the minced garlic in the jar.
- Crushed red pepper: This is optional, but these red pepper flakes add an extra bit of flavor. They can be found in the aisle with the spices.
- Crushed tomatoes: This is one of the main ingredients in the sauce. You can crush fresh tomatoes, or you can purchase crushed tomatoes in a can. You can find these in the canned food aisle with other canned tomato products.
- Onion powder: Onion powder is one of the most common seasonings in Italian cuisine.
- Chicken broth: This is also important in making the sauce and helping the pasta cook properly in the Instant Pot.
- Vodka: You can use any brand of vodka that you like.
- Mini penne pasta: You can use any brand that you like, but for this recipe mini penne pasta will work the best.
- Heavy cream: This is what makes the sauce creamy.
How to make Vodka Penne in the Instant Pot
Here are the easy instructions on how to make Vodka Penne in your Instant Pot:
Step 1: Brown the sausage
Set instant pot to sauté and toss in the sausage. Chop sausage into bite size pieces while browning.
Step 2: Add the garlic
Once sausage is browned, toss in the garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
Step 3: Make the sauce
Add the spices, tomatoes, broth, vodka and pasta. Close the lid and pressure valve and pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
Step 4: Add the heavy cream
Manually release the pressure valve, remove the lid and stir in the heavy cream.
Step 5: Enjoy!
Serve once cooled.
How to make on the stove top
You may be wondering, can I make Vodka Penne on the stove? You can! You will have to start by browning your sausage in a skillet, and then add the garlic. Once the garlic is tender and the sausage is browned, add the spices, tomatoes, broth, vodka, and pasta. Cover and cook until the pasta is to desired texture. Stir in the heavy cream, and serve once cooled. Voila!
Is there Vodka in this Pasta?
Why yes, yes there is. As much as you may be thinking that we add the vodka for the alcohol content, that just isn’t true. It’s honestly more a texture thing. As I said before it helps the cream from separating in the sauce and helps bind with the tomatoes.
What Noodles do I need for this recipe?
You could use any type of noodle that’s roughly the size of penne, honestly. Like farfalle would probably work well too. As long as it isn’t like spaghetti or lasagna or something like that. We find that for the Instant Pot, that mini penne noodles work the best.
How to store leftovers
You can store leftovers in an airtight container like Tupperware in the refrigerator. It will keep for about 3 days. You may want to add a bit of chicken broth when you heat it back up so it doesn’t dry out.
Can I freeze it?
You can freeze it if you wish. Just move it from the freezer to the refrigerator the night before you want to eat it to let it thaw. It may taste better if you just freeze the sauce though and cook fresh noodles when ready to eat.
Other Instant Pot recipes to try
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are some other recipes we’re sure you’ll love!
- Instant Pot Bang Bang Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Ham Pasta
- Instant Pot Fettuccine Alfredo
- Instant Pot Bacon Carbonara
- Instant Pot Lazy Lasagna
- Instant Pot Lo Mein Spicy Thai
- Instant Pot Chili Mac
Instant Pot Vodka Penne
How to make a creamy vodka penne with Italian sausage in your Instant Pot.
- 5 links of mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 (16-oz) box mini penne pasta
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
1. Set instant pot to sauté and toss in the sausage. Chop sausage into bite size pieces while browning.
2. Once sausage is browned, toss in the garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Add the spices, tomatoes, broth, vodka and pasta. Close the lid and
pressure valve and pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
4. Manually release the pressure valve, remove the lid and stir in the heavy cream.
5. Serve once cooled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 1323mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 15g
Love this easy Instant Pot recipe? Pin it to your favorite Instant Pot board! Made this recipe? I’d love if you left a rating in the recipe card above!