Juicy and tender beef is pressure cooked to perfection, piled high on a delicious split top roll, toasted with provolone cheese and served with a deliciously savory au jus sauce. These Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches are perfect for lunch or dinner!
When you want to have a tasty and fulfilling meal for lunch or dinner that will surely leave you feeling satisfied, the Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches are a must-try. These sandwiches are brimming with flavor, but they are also super easy to make, making them an excellent choice for any day of the week!
What Is a French Dip Sandwich?
A French Dip Sandwich, also known as a dipped beef sandwich, consists of thinly sliced roast beef prepared in a savory au jus sauce, and served on a roll. Some people like to add cheese to their sandwiches with the roast beef for added taste and texture.
Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches Ingredients
- Sliced Sirloin Beef: Use thinly sliced sirloin beef for the meat in this recipe.
- Onion: Slice your onion into thin pieces to go with your beef.
- Worcestershire Sauce: This helps to tenderize your meat. It also adds a caramelized flavor.
- French Onion Soup: Include a can of this flavorful soup in your Instant Pot with the other ingredients.
- Beef Broth: Keep your beef slices moist and delicious with a bit of beef broth.
- Split Top Rolls: After cooking your beef, you’ll place it on the split top rolls to enjoy! You can also use french bread.
- Provolone Cheese: Enhance the taste of your sandwiches with a bit of provolone cheese!
You’ll also need salt, pepper, olive oil, and garlic.
How to Make Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches
These Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches are the perfect weekday lunch or dinner meal! They are so easy to make and absolutely delicious!
Step 1: Sauté the beef
Use the Sauté function on your Instant Pot and then add your olive oil, beef, sliced onion, and garlic, Sautéing these ingredients until cooked well.
Step 2: Add Everything to the Instant Pot
Next, add your broth, French onion soup, salt, pepper, and broth to the Instant Pot.
Step 3: Pressure Cook
Hit cancel to turn the Sauté feature off. Then, hit your manual or pressure cook button and set the time for 3-minutes.
Step 4: Manually Release the Pressure
Once the Instant Pot beeps, turn the pressure valve to the venting position to release the pressure. Then, strain the extra juice into a bowl for dipping.
Step 5: Assemble the Sandwich
Place equal amounts of the beef slices and onion on each split roll. Then, top each sandwich with a half slice of provolone cheese (or more if you want it cheesy).
Step 6: Melt the Cheese
Finally, place your sandwiches on a cookie sheet under the broiler for 2-minutes to melt the cheese and crisp the bread.
How Do You Make French Dip Sandwiches in the Crock Pot?
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can add your ingredients to a slow cooker and cook them on low for four to six hours or high for two to four hours. Or, you can follow this Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches Recipe.
What is Au Jus Sauce?
Au jus sauce is a French term that literally means “with juice.” When we talk about Au jus sauce, we are referring to the broth or gravy that was made from the fluids secreted by the meat as it was cooked. In this recipe, your au jus sauce will be the broth you drained and put into a bowl in step 4.
Which Type of Beef Broth Should I Use?
You can use any brand of beef broth that you prefer and have tried before. If you don’t have beef broth, you can use bouillon or chicken broth. The flavor may be a bit different but it will still be delicious.
Do I Have to Use Provolone Cheese?
If you don’t like provolone cheese, you can use a different cheese, such as American or cheddar. Pepper jack cheese adds a little kick and is also super delicious on this sandwich.
Can I Put the Beef on a Round Roll?
Yes, you can prepare this recipe using a round kaiser roll if you don’t have a long roll available. You can also use french bread. If you’re feeling ambitious, make my Fresh Homemade Hoagie Rolls.
How to Store Leftovers
Put your leftover beef and onion with the broth in a food storage container and place the container in the fridge to keep the food fresh. It will last about 5-days in the refrigerator. You can reheat the meat in the microwave or on the stove.
Side Dish Recommendations
You can eat these sandwiches by themselves or with a side of chips, French fries, or crispy tater tots, depending on what you like! Here are a few of my favorite sides:
- Italian Roasted Potatoes
- Homemade Classic Coleslaw
- Easy Instant Pot Macaroni Salad
- Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes
- 1 lb. of sliced sirloin beef
- 1/2 onion sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 10oz can of French onion soup
- 1 14oz can of beef broth
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 slices of provolone
- 8 split top rolls
- Set the instant pot to sauté and add the oil, beef, sliced onion and garlic. Sauté until beef is fully cooked.
- Add broth, Worcestershire, soup, salt and pepper and pressure cook on high for 3 minutes.
- Manually release pressure and strain the juice into a bowl.
- Once meat and onion are strained, place in a roll, top with a half slice of provolone and set sandwiches under a broiler for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve sandwiches with drained broth as a dipping sauce.
Other Meaty Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Korean Beef
- Instant Pot Big Mac Burgers
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Meatballs
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
Did you try this recipe? I’d love for you to leave a rating in the recipe card above. Want to try it later? Pin the image below for later. THANK YOU for the support.