Looking for an Asian cuisine the whole family will love? This Instant Pot Korean Beef has blends of onion and garlic with ginger that is paired with a subtle flavor of soy sauce and sesame seed oil making a deliciously sweet meal everyone will enjoy.
My husband was stationed over seas before we met, and one thing he absolutely loves is Asian food! So, I try to recreate the food he loves as much as possible. This dish is a twist off my Keto-friendly Korean Beef Lettuce Wraps. Sometimes, we want some carbs…
What is Korean Beef?
As the highest quality of beef in Korea, Korean beef is a highly marbled and very sweet meat. In fact, in Korea, they get this texture from cattle by feeding them a very special grain-based diet.
This Korean beef dish is a cheater version of the real thing! Instead of using the very expensive beef they use in Korea, you will be using ground beef. However, you will still have the same delicious flavors.
Instant Pot Korean Beef Ingredients
This recipe uses a little bit of every seasoning to make the perfect Korean flavors. Start making your grocery list…
- Ground beef: I prefer to use ground chuck when making this recipe. It’s not as fatty as regular ground beef.
- Ginger paste: This is sometimes called ginger garlic paste. You may have to look in the Asian food section of the grocery store for it.
- Yellow onion: Because this dish is a sweeter dish, you want to make sure to get the sweet yellow onions.
- Soy sauce: Soy sauce adds a sweet and salty flavor. I always get low sodium.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning: Rather than using a multitude of seasonings, you can use this seasoning which combines a little bit of everything!
- Red pepper flakes: These give the dish a sweet and spicy kick!
For a full list of exact ingredients, please scroll to the bottom for the recipe card!
How to make Korean Beef in the Instant Pot
Follow the simple steps below for a delicious Asian dish in just 25 minutes!
Step 1: Make the Sauce
In a mixing bowl, combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, and red pepper. Set aside.
Step 2: Sauté the Beef
Set the instant pot to sauté and add the oil. Once oil is hot, add the ground beef to brown it off. Once meat is browned, add the onion.
Step 3: Pressure Cook
Add 1 cup of water, and place 1 cup of rice in a pan on a trivet. Seal the lid and pressure valve and cook on high for 8 minutes.
Step 4: Quick Release
Release pressure and remove the rice.
Step 5: Add the Sauce
Return the instant pot to sauté and add the sauce you made earlier. Cook the beef in the sauce for 10-15 minutes until sauce is reduced to a glaze on the beef.
Step 6: Serve Over Rice
Serve beef over the rice and garnish with everything bagel seasoning and green onion.
For a keto friendly dish, serve in lettuce boats.
Do I have to use Ground Beef?
The American version of Korean beef uses ground beef. However, another beef you could use is ribeyes. Additionally, you can make a Vegan Korean Beef using beefless grounds instead of ground beef.
What Can I Use Instead of Everything Bagel Seasoning?
If you leave out the Everything Bagel Seasoning, the dish won’t quite taste the same! However, this seasoning is just a combination of 5 different seasonings you probably already have in your cupboard. In fact, you can make your own at home! Follow this Everything Bagel Seasoning recipe to make it in 5 minutes.
Side Dish Suggestions
For this recipe, I typically just serve the Korean beef over rice. However, there are other sides that pair well with this dish. Here are a few suggestions:
How to Store Leftovers
You can store any leftover Korean beef in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Simply reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Can I Freeze It?
Absolutely! In fact, freezing it will make the flavors come out even more in the meat. You can store Korean beef in a freezer bag for up to 6 months. Just thaw it in the fridge for 8 hours before using and reheating.
Instant Pot Korean Beef
- 1 lb. Ground beef
- 2 tablespoons minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Ginger paste
- 1/2 Yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup Soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning
- In a mixing bowl, combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, and red pepper. Set aside.
- Set the instant pot to sauté and add the oil. Once oil is hot, add the ground beef to brown it off. Once meat is browned, add the onion.
- Add 1 cup of water, and place 1 cup of rice in a pan on a trivet. Seal the lid and pressure valve and cook on high for 8 minutes.
- Release pressure and remove the rice.
- Return the instant pot to sauté and add the sauce.
- Cook the beef in the sauce for 10-15 minutes until sauce is reduced to a glaze on the beef.
- Serve beef over the rice and garnish with everything bagel seasoning and green onion.
- For a keto friendly dish, serve in lettuce boats.
Other Instant Pot Beef Recipes to try
Beef…It’s what’s for dinner! If you want some other delicious beef recipes, give these others a try:
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- Instant Pot Big Mac Burgers
- Hawaiian Meatballs in the Instant Pot
- Easy Instant Pot Meatloaf