Sticky ribs are one of my favorite summer time dinners. They are sweet, sticky and perfectly tender. Make them in your Instant Pot and then broil them in your oven for a deliciously sticky flavor. Let me show you how to make these Instant Pot Asian Sticky Ribs today!
I have always loved ribs. I remember chowing down on them when I was a little kid and just being happy as a clam. My older brother actually makes the best ribs in the world. It’s true. I love when we get together because I know we are going to have ribs at some point!
He slow cooks his ribs and has his recipe down to a science. I, on the other hand, like to make my ribs in the Instant Pot. I get the same tender results but without having to use a giant smoker.
What are Sticky Asian ribs?
Sticky ribs are similar to classic ribs except you use Asian inspired flavors to take them up a notch. After cooking the ribs in the Instant Pot, you glaze them by using your broiler. The marinade from the ribs “sticks” to the ribs and creates a perfect meal.
The list of ingredients is a bit longer for these sticky ribs, but it’s so worth it. You can also easily substitute some of the ingredients for simpler ones. For example, use your favorite dry drub instead of making your own. To make these Instant Pot ribs you will need:
- Dry rub –
- Sticky sauce
- Baby back ribs
- Green onions
- Sesame seeds
Dry rub – You can use the ingredients above to make your own homemade dry rub. The Chinese 5 spice blend gives these ribs an Asian inspired flavor. Don’t want to make your own dry rub? Use your favorite pre-made rub from the store!
Sticky sauce – This sauce is what gives the ribs their sticky goodness. It’s a pretty simple sauce recipe that uses fresh garlic, chili sauce, coconut animos (or low sodium soy sauce) and apple cider vinegar.
Ribs – You will need 1 rack of baby back pork rubs for this recipe. These are the same ribs that I use for my basic Instant Pot pork ribs recipe.
Cornstarch – This helps thicken the sauce that goes on the ribs.
Toppings – The green onions and sesame seeds are optional toppings that you can add to your ribs. They always bring a nice pop of color and flavor.
How to make Asian sticky ribs
You will want to gather all of your ingredients along with your Instant Pot before you get started. These ribs are easy to make and taste amazing!
Step 1 Make the dry rub and the sauce Combine the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl. The make the sauce in another bowl. Set both aside.
Step 2 Season the ribs Using your dry rub, sprinkle it all over the ribs. Use your hands to make sure that the ribs are coated in the rub.
Step 3 Cook the ribs Place the ribs in your Instant Pot, making sure to not stack them. Pour in the sauce over the ribs. The sauce will provide enough liquid to cook the ribs. Seal your Instant Pot and cook for 25 minutes on high pressure.
Step 4 Broil the ribs Once the ribs are done cooking, allow them to come to natural pressure. This will hep tenderize the ribs even more. Release any remaining pressure after 10 minutes. Carefully place the ribs on a prepared baking sheet. Broil the ribs on high for 2-3 minutes.
Step 5 Make the sauce Using your Instant Pot, press the saute function. Bring the remaining liquid to a boil and then add the cornstarch slurry you have created. Allow the sauce to thicken for 1-3 minutes before brushing it over the ribs.
What makes these ribs sticky?
The sauce that you create and put over the ribs after you broil them is why these are called sticky ribs. You eat them with your hands so be prepared to have some wet wipes available!
How long do I need to cook the ribs?
The ribs need to cook for 25 minutes in your Instant Pot. You then cook them under the broiler for an additional 1-3 minutes. This will give you fall of the bone tender ribs that taste like you spent hours cooking them!
Side dish suggestions
Some of my favorite side dishes that go well with these Asian sticky ribs are:
- Dry Rub Ingredients:
- 1 t. salt
- ½ t. black pepper
- 2 t. Chinese 5 Spice blend
- 1 t. garlic powder
- ½ t. onion powder
- Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 T. fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1-2 t. sugar-free garlic chili sauce
- ¼ c. tamari or coconut aminos
- ½ c. honey, preferably local
- 1/3 c. water
- 1/3 c. cider vinegar
- ¼ t. salt
- 2 lbs. baby back ribs, sliced
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 3 large green onions, sliced, green parts only
- 1 T. white sesame seeds
1. Combine the dry rub ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Whisk the sauce ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
3. Place the ribs in a large bowl and sprinkle the dry rub on top. Toss to combine and rub the seasoning into the ribs until they are coated on all sides.
4. Place the seasoned ribs in the Instant Pot® without stacking and pour the sauce on top. Lock the lid into place and flip the pressure valve to “Sealing.” Set the
“Manual” setting to “High” and adjust cook time to 25 minutes.
5. While the ribs are cooking, line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
6. When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Once the pin drops, carefully remove the lid and transfer the ribs to the prepared baking sheet. Set aside.
7. Place the top oven rack a few inches below the broiler and pre-heat the broiler to
8. Add the cornstarch and an equal amount of the hot liquid from the Instant Pot® to a small bowl and stir to combine.
9. Select the “Sauté’ function on the highest setting and bring the sauce to a boil while stirring frequently. Add a little of the cornstarch slurry at a time to the sauce until thickened, approximately 1-2 minutes.
10. Turn the Instant Pot off. Transfer the sauce to a bowl and brush over the ribs on both sides. Place the baking sheet under the broiler for 2-3 minutes before turning. Repeat on remaining side until nicely browned.
11. Remove the baking sheet from oven and brush more sauce on the ribs, then sprinkle with sliced green onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately with remaining sauce on the side. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 ribs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 837Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 2429mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 3gSugar: 50gProtein: 49g
Other Instant Pot Pork Recipes to Try:
Love this recipe? I’d be so happy if you would rate it in the recipe card above! You can also use the image below to pin to your favorite Instant Pot board!