When you’re looking for the perfect sweet and savory meal to prepare, look no further than this Instant Pot Pineapple Brown Sugar Ham. The Instant Pot Pineapple Brown Sugar Ham is easy to prepare and full of flavor that will keep you coming back for more slices.
We love ham around here. It is great for the holidays since it serves a lot of people, but we enjoy it year round. Ham is great the first day but the meals you can create with the leftovers are even better! Meals like ham pasta and ham and potato soup. This pineapple brown sugar ham makes THE best leftovers!
The sweet and savory ham is the perfect entree to serve with various sides. You can eat it with your choice of vegetables, rice, or even potatoes, depending on what you prefer and typically like to eat with your ham.
What Is Brown Sugar Ham?
Brown Sugar Ham is a sweetened version of ham consisting of pineapple and brown sugar to give the meat a sweeter and more enjoyable taste. It’s perfect for those who love the combination of sweet and savory ingredients.
Instant Pot Pineapple Brown Sugar Ham Ingredients
- Spiral Ham – Be sure to use a spiral ham pre-cut ham that weighs roughly three pounds.
- Sliced Pineapple – Grab a can of sliced pineapple to use with your ham for an added sweet touch.
- Brown Sugar – Use brown sugar to give this recipe an even sweeter taste that pairs well with the savory smoked flavor of the ham.
- Maple Syrup – A bit of maple syrup is all you’ll need to enhance the flavor of this finished meal.
How to Make the Pineapple Brown Sugar Ham
This ham is slow cooked in brown sugar, pineapple, and pineapple juice, and then drizzled with a sweet brown sugar glaze. It comes out perfect every time, and is so easy to make!
Step 1: Add Brown Sugar and Ham
First, get out your Instant Pot. Then, pour your brown sugar at the bottom of the Instant Pot before adding the ham on top of the sugar and pouring maple syrup over the ham.
Step 2: Add pineapple slices and juice
Place the pineapple slices over and between the pieces of ham. Pour the pineapple juice over the ham.
Step 3: Cook the ham
You will want to cook your ham for 2 minutes per pound plus an additional 10 minutes on manual HIGH pressure.
- For a 3 pound ham – cook for 16 minutes.
- For a 4 pound ham – cook for 18 minutes.
- For a 5 pound ham – cook for 20 minutes.
Make sure your Instant Pot is large enough to hold a ham any larger than 5 pounds.
Step 4: Create a Glaze
Once the slow cooker is done cooking your ham, take ¼ cup of the pineapple juice and mix in a separate bowl with your remaining 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Use this mix to glaze your ham with a brush.
Which Brand of Ham Should I Get?
I like to get spiral sliced ham because it makes it easier to place the pineapple slices in between the layers. However, it doesn’t matter what brand of ham you get. Go ahead and get whatever you prefer as long as it is a 3 pound ham.
Can I Use Fresh Pineapple?
Yes, you can use fresh pineapple, but then you will need to get a jug of pineapple juice since you won’t have enough juice from your fresh pineapple for cooking. It’s best to use the canned pineapple because there’s juice already in the can.
Do I Have to Use Maple Syrup?
You don’t have to, but your ham will not be as sweet and delicious. The maple syrup adds the best sweet touch to your ham. It’s also great for the glaze.
Side Dish Recommendations
The Instant Pot Pineapple Brown Sugar Ham is an excellent entree to serve with a side of white rice and honey glazed carrots. You might also want to prepare homemade mashed potatoes to eat with the ham. Here are a few of my favorite sides:
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Classic Green Bean Casserole
- Easy Sausage Stuffing
How do you heat up a fully cooked ham in the Instant Pot?
Since ham is already fully cooked, you just need to be able to heat your ham through. You want to make sure that you don’t dry it out when you do that. You want to add 2 minutes per pound plus 10 minutes to fully cook your ham without drying it out. So for a 3 pound ham you will cook it on HIGH pressure for 16 minutes.
Can I make this in the crock pot?
You sure can! You can use the slow cooker feature on your Instant Pot or your favorite Crock Pot. Follow the instructions for using your Instant Pot except you will want to cook on low for 5 hours or on high for 2.5 hours.
- 3 lbs. spiral ham (pre-cooked)
- 1 can sliced pineapple
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Start by putting the brown sugar at the bottom of your instant pot.
- Add your spiral ham on top of the brown sugar in the instant pot.
- Add the maple syrup and pour over your ham.
- Put the slices of pineapple over and between the ham slices. And pour the pineapple juice in the instant pot.
- Cook your ham for 2 minutes per pound plus an additional 10 minutes on manual HIGH pressure. Cook a 3 pound ham for 16 minutes. Cook a 4 pound ham for 18 minutes. Cook a 5 pound ham for 20 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Take about ¼ cup of the pineapple juice and mix in a separate bowl with your remaining 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Use this mix to glaze your ham with a brush.
- Serve while hot, enjoy!
How to Store Leftovers
Ham is always best the day its cooked, but you can easily store any leftovers in your refrigerator for later. Place leftovers in a food storage container, add a lid on top, and place them in the fridge for up to three days.
Can I freeze this ham?
Yup! You sure can! I suggest slicing it, laying the slices between parchment paper and place them in a Ziplock bag. Place the bag in the freezer. This will allow for easy defrosting later. Your ham will stay fresh for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Other Pork Instant Pot Recipes
Have you made this recipe? I’d love for you to leave a review in the recipe card above or the comments below.
Want to make it later? Pin the image below to your favorite dinner board. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!