Do you love tacos? If so, this Instant Pot Taco Soup is going to put a whole new spin on your Taco Tuesday! Made with ground beef, Mexican spices, and black beans, you get the taco flavor that warms and soothes the soul.
Taco Tuesday is a real thing at my house. We sure do love tacos. But, on cold winter days, there’s nothing better than a steaming bowl of soup to warm you up. So, I combined the deliciousness of a taco with the warmth of a soup, and we have the perfect taco soup for Taco Tuesday! This is one of my go-to recipes for Fall and Winter.
What is Taco Soup?
If you’ve never had taco soup, you’re in for a delicious and hearty meal. Taco soup is a type of soup that has all the ingredients you’d typically find in a taco and then some. Ingredients such as ground beef, tomatoes, black beans, and a packet of taco seasoning make this dish taco soup.
Instant Pot Taco Soup Ingredients
You probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry already, but just in case, get out that shopping list and jot down these ingredients you’ll need!
- Ground beef: If you want your taco soup extra meaty, be sure to get ground chuck.
- Oil: I like to use extra virgin olive oil, but you can use vegetable oil or any oil you choose to saute your onions.
- Onion: I like to use a yellow onion because I find they have a sweeter flavor.
- Corn: Use regular canned corn for this recipe. Do not use cream corn.
- Black beans: I use canned black beans, but you can use dry beans as well if you would like. Just make sure to cook your beans ahead of time.
- Tomatoes: You can use crushed or diced canned tomatoes for this recipe.
- Taco seasoning: You can buy a packet of taco seasoning in the seasoning aisle, or if you feel like it, you can make my Homemade Taco Seasoning using the spices you already have.
- Spices: You will also want to make sure you have salt, pepper, and garlic salt for seasoning.
- Chicken broth: This is your soups base and how the liquid you need for the Instant Pot to come to pressure. If you don’t have chicken broth, you can make it with boulion cubes and water.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of exact ingredients!
How to Make Instant Pot Taco Soup
Nothing is easier than using your Instant Pot to make a delicious home-cooked meal! You’re going to love how easy this recipe is to make!
Step 1: Saute the Onion
First, dice up your onion. Then, press the saute button on your Instant Pot and let it heat up. Once the oil is heated, add your onions and saute them for about 3 minutes or until they are translucent and softened.
Step 2: Brown the Beef
After the onions are done, add the ground beef and the taco seasoning to the pot. Brown the beef thoroughly. Then, hit cancel to turn off the saute mode.
Step 3: Add Remaining Ingredients
Add your remaining ingredients: garlic salt, salt and pepper, corn, black beans, tomatoes, and chicken broth into the Instant Pot.
Step 4: Pressure Cook
Next, place the lid on your Instant Pot and put the vent into the sealing position. Press your manual or pressure cook button and set the time for 6 minutes.
Step 5: Quick Release
Once your Instant Pot beeps, do a quick release by putting the sealing valve in the venting position.
Step 6: Stir and Add Toppings
Finally, give your soup a good stir and transfer it to a soup bowl. Add any toppings you like such as crushed tortilla chips, cheese, jalapenos, or sour cream.
Serve and Enjoy!
How Do You Make Taco Soup in the Crockpot?
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can easily make this recipe in the crockpot too! Simply brown the beef and place everything in the crockpot. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Or, you can follow my Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe.
How Do You Thicken Taco Soup?
If you like a thicker soup, you can thicken this taco soup up in a jiffy. Once the Instant Pot beeps, give it a good stir. Then, add a few tablespoons of tomato paste until it reaches the consistency you like. You can also add more meat or beans to bulk the soup up.
What Goes Well with Taco Soup
I find this taco soup meaty and hearty all on its own, but you can always add a few sides to make it really filling. Here’s what we like to eat with our soup:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ onion diced
- 1-pound Ground Beef
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup corn, canned
- 5 oz can of black beans
- 15 oz can have crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Set your instant pot to sauté mode. Add in your vegetable oil. Allow that to heat up. Once hot add in your onions. Allow that to sauté for about three minutes until translucent and softened.
- Once your onions have cooked, add in your ground beef and taco seasoning. Brown your beef.
- Add in your remaining ingredients: garlic salt, salt and pepper, corn, black beans, tomatoes, and chicken broth.
- Play some lid on your instant pot, and seal. Close the ceiling valve by pushing it away from you. Set your instant pot on high pressure for six minutes. Once the timer is done, do a quick release by bringing the valve closer to you and releasing pressure.
- Once the pressure has been fully released, the silver pin to the right will drop. Open the lead by twisting it open.
- Mix together, and transfer to your favorite soup bowl. We like to top of our taco soup with crushed up tortilla chips, cheese, jalapeños, sour cream, etc. Or keep it as is for a low-carb option.
Other Soup Recipes to Try
Looking for more delicious soup recipes? Here are some of my favorite Instant Pot Soup Recipes to try!
- Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Tomato and Basil Soup
- Chicken and Noodle Soup in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup