Instant pot curry chicken and rice is a flavorful dinner that comes together quick in your instant pot. It’s easy enough for a busy weeknight and fancy enough for date night at home. Let me show you how to make this easy instant pot dinner!
Curry Chicken and Rice
Who is excited for something a little different? This curry chicken and rice is not something you may make for dinner every week, but it deserves a spot on your menu plan. When I was little, my mom would use curry in some of her recipes. That’s when I first really started to like it! I hope you enjoy this Instant Pot dinner. It’ll give you more time with the kids and less time in the kitchen.
Cooking with curry is a little different because it can be such a strong ingredient. You really need to know how much to use, so the curry doesn’t overpower the whole dish. It’s great for your family to be exposed to curry chicken. It might truly become the whole family’s favorite meal. If I’m being honest, this is one of my favorite meals to make in the Instant Pot too because it comes out awesome every single time.
What is curry chicken and rice?
Have you ever had Indian or Thai food? If not, then this recipe is going to give your first test of that. Curry Chicken and Rice is a simple dish that is also very delicious. You’re going to use lots of fresh ingredients to make chicken with curry in it with a side of rice. The taste is super flavorful and there isn’t anything out there quite like it.
This easy instant pot dinner is made all in the instant pot coming together in under 30 minutes (with manual release). It’s a great recipe to get dinner on the table quick and with flavors you may not normally cook with.
Instant pot curry chicken ingredients
There is so much flavor and protein in this meal, you just won’t believe it until you try it. It’s packed with lots of healthy ingredients too. To make this easy curry chicken and rice you will need:
- Chicken stock
- Salted butter
Rice – You want to use a white long grain rice here. I love using jasmine rice or basmanti. They are both fragrant rices that pair perfectly with the curry flavors. You can use whatever white rice you have on hand. I do not suggest a brown rice here as it would affect the cooking time.
Chicken – You have a few options when it comes to the chicken. You can use chicken breasts, tenders or thighs. Whatever you choose, make sure they are boneless and skinless for this recipe.
Carrots – Grab whatever fresh carrots you prefer here. You can use matchstick, carrot chips or even regular carrots diced up. If you use frozen carrots be sure t o add them in with the frozen peas at the end so they don’t get super mushy.
Peas – Frozen peas work best in this easy instant pot dinner recipe.
Curry chicken spices
Some of the spices that you need to make this easy instant pot meal are:
- Curry powder – if this is your first time working with curry, you are going to love it. I think the smell may scare people at first. However, once you taste the flavor it brings to a dish, you’ll be in love.
- Turmeric powder – I use turmeric powder in this curry chicken because it also brings a lot of flavor to the dish. A reason I enjoy cooking with turmeric is that it has so many health benefits.
- Cinnamon stick
- Ginger paste
- Bay Leaves
- Smoked paprika
- Chili powder
How to make curry chicken in the instant pot
Luckily, when it comes to curry chicken and rice the instructions don’t get too crazy. Instant pot meals are basically one-pot meals, which is why they’re my favorite! Follow this recipe to discover how to make curry chicken in the instant pot. This will be your favorite version of curry chicken.
Step 1 – Prep your onion, carrots and chicken. Set them aside.
Step 2 – Set your instant pot to saute and add in your butter and allow it to melt. Stir in your bay leafs and cinnamon stick and saute for 30 seconds, stirring often.
Step 3 – Add in your onion and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the onion becomes soft. Stir in your minced garlic and the ginger paste. Fresh ginger or ginger powder can be substituted here as well. Add the curry powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, smoked paprika.
Step 4 – Add in your chicken, rice and carrots and top with the chicken stock. Stir to combine everything.
Step 5 – Close your instant pot and make sure the valve is closed. Cook on manual for 7 minutes. Once it’s done, allow the instant pot to come to pressure naturally, which will take about 10 minutes.
Step 6 – Remove lid, stir in your frozen peas and attach the lid again. Let the peas warm through for abut 5 minutes before serving.
How to store leftover curry chicken
After you have made the curry chicken and rice, you may be wondering how you can store it. Grab one of your airtight storage containers. Place the curry chicken inside of the container and make sure it’s airtight. You can store it in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Can you freeze curry chicken?
If you don’t plan on eating it in that time frame, then you’ll need to freeze it. You can easily freeze it in a freezer storage bag. You can leave it in your freezer for up to six months. I love freezer meals because they are great when we have a busy night ahead. You just pull dinner out of the freezer and you’re good to go.
- 2 tbsp. Salted Butter
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 large White Onion, Chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tbsp. Ginger paste
- 2 tbsp. Curry Powder
- 1 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp. Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 ½ cups Basmati Rice
- 1 pound Chicken, cut, into pieces
- 4 Carrots Chopped
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- Prepare your onions, and chicken.
- Set to the side.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute mode.
- Add the butter and allow it to melt.
- Add your bay leafs and cinnamon stick. Saute for 30 seconds. Stirring often.
- Add your onion, stir often. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the onion becomes soft.
- Add ginger and garlic and stir to combine. Cook for a minute.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, smoked paprika. Mix well and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add Chicken, rice and carrots to the instant pot. Stir to combine.
- Add Chicken Stock to the Instant Pot and push the rice down under the liquid.
- Close the instant pot lid, and the valve to close. Cook on Manual for 7 minutes.
- After the cooking is complete let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas, stir to combine. Close the lid for 5 minutes. Allow peas to warm through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Other easy instant pot dinners to try:
- Instant pot French dips
- Juicy instant pot chicken
- Instant pot chicken cacciatore
- Instant pot chicken schwarma
Be sure to PIN this recipe!